06 February 2010

Where on earth is Rangiputa?

There's a place Stew and I went to stay with some gorgeous people by the name of Brett and Jules.
They have a beach place at Rangiputa which is on the Karikari peninsula about 4 hours north of Auckland. Or 6 if you go at Easter as we did.

It's located on the Rangaunu Harbour: so in effect, a beach that's westward facing on the East coast. Quite near Houhora on the way to Cape Reinga. We had a fabulous time and I particularly enjoyed the food - my favourite thing about food is the social times that go with it, and the unexpected dimension it adds to occasions. We fished (snapper snapper and more snapper) and had fish for breakfast and lunch, fish chowder, and fish cakes... and lots of people at the table for every meal.

I had an interesting evening at another resident's house where a birthday party was held, and the hostess was someone I'd met during my time on the Singapore Airlines account in the 1980's. I didn't realise this until the end of the evening, but her elegant party for her husband was wonderful. It was this evening and this location that provided me with the inspiration to make my fish cakes, which I serve with smoked capsicum and ginger salsa.

No comments: