08 February 2010

Cafe review - Greenfingers Cafe at Palmers Gardenworld Remuera

Laura and I went for a coffee together - we're all trying to save money on these luxuries so I don't do it often, and when I do I like to find a place I think is good value.
What I liked at Palmers was the ease of parking, the reasonable coffee (not out-standing but very drinkable) plus I was recognised as a MasterChef contestant by another customer so that strokes the ego sufficiently.
But the service at the counter was provided by a perfectly efficient though personality-free woman who obviously thinks that the mechanical "yes-no-swipe your card" approach is enough. Wrong. Please will these counter service staff make eye contact and break into even a token smile? Surely there's no harm done! No wastage of facial muscles? No loss of efficiency?
The coffee came quickly enough, no sugar offered though and in going to find it I discovered 3 of 3 sugar dispensers I looked at had old coffee/milk inside the pourers. Laura had a plum tart which she enjoyed, but she had to ask for yoghurt. This was served in a shell - nice touch. My custard square was a Denheath look-alike, good looking, though the pastry was pretty average. Never mind - a fairly standard level for a Remmers cafe.
Ambience:  quite passable.  Nice smiley customers, cute dogs and comfy chairs. A choice of seating inside or out.
Reading material: poor. I do not want to read local advertising brochures thanks. No matter, I scanned the day's headlines and talked to Laura.
Coffee 6/10
Food 6/10
Price was standard
Am I going there again: not very likely

No comments: