12 February 2010

A new Food business idea

My grandmother at 95 is beginning to face difficulties with her groceries. Having had a fall last year she can't walk the 2 km to the supermarket as she did, and she's losing faith in her driving ability so that will also not be an option soon. As a fiercely independent person who lives alone, the idea of taking a taxi will not appeal. And her frailty makes it hard to access groceries when the supermarkets are so big. Her other limitation is that she likes to write cheques and doesn't use a card, so she can only shop where the supermarket will approve her cheques.
Surely there's a business opportunity here.., and not just for my Nana but for all those of us who do not wish to personally shop for groceries, who want fresh items, not frozen, and for whom online shopping isn't viable? Nana doesn't use a computer so her online access is non-existent too. And if I suggested Salvation Army meals she'd laugh me out of the house.
I can find a few 'gourmet' ready-made meals and soups at the supermarket and courier them to her (we don't live in the same town)... and if I bake for her I'm pretty sure she'll eat that.
But I can imagine a nice little business that operates in the smaller towns and uses local people to gather orders from a network of customers, shops and delivers same day, carries the groceries to a chilly-bin type of drop-box at the door for the customer and - glory, imagine this! - can even get a meal ready if required.
So kind of "Hire-a-Hubby" but more "Hire-a-Foodie". Any takers?

I did find one business on the net called "Tomorrow's Meals" which offers a reasonably-priced frozen meal delivery service in the Bay of Plenty and Auckland, and has retailers who stock their meals throughout NZ.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Christine, I just found your blog from signing up the the Face Book fan page for NZ Master Chef. I gather you are a contestant? GOOD LUCK! anyway, I use the services of Eat Unlimited (www.eatunlimited.co.nz). They are based in Wellington but courier nationwide. They are brilliant. You don't have to be online. If you print off the menu for your nana to peruse she could then telephone an order through. The only issue may be regarding cheque payment - but I'm sure some agreement could be reached regarding this?? It's worth a try....
Anyway - just thought I'd mention it :-) It may be of help or interest to you and your family. Good luck with the show. I'll watch with extra interest now that I've found your blog! Kind regards, Christine

temp said...

Sounds like there is a definite market there, especially for those not online. Even if Foodtown offer a phone ordering system as well as their online version, that would be a good idea, ay?

I know of www.foodbox.co.nz, who do fruit n veg, but they only deliver within Auckland.

I didn't click that you are the Christine on Masterchef?! I'll be watching with extra interest now :)

And good job on the duck - most impressed :)

Ciao,
Andrea.

Christine Hobbs said...

Hey thanks so much for the interest and feedback, and I'll have a look at Eat Unlimited right now. Cheers, cj