12 February 2010

A duck adventure...

first take your dead duck
I bought one from Lim Gardens in Glen Innes but alas, I did not expect to find this...
not as appealing as I'd imagined... but I pressed ahead and boned it as I would a chicken.,

Starting with a cut along the backbone

then peel the meat and skin down off the ribcage, separating the legs from the body as you go.

Once you have the main rib cage out (I left the wings and half the legs on) you can lay it flat and stuff with something flavoursome.
I used orange zest, homemade wholemeal bread crumbs, fresh sage, butter and onion with lots of salt and pepper. Pull it all up into a roll, tuck in the ends and tie securely with string. Score the skin, then sear as much of the prepared roll as possible in a very hot pan to render the fat from under the skin. Put a little water in the bottom of a pan, add the duck and cover. Braise for 2 hours. Remove the cover towards the end of cooking to brown the outside, then slice to serve.

No comments: