01 November 2010

luxury in the suburbs

How many of you can match my breakfast this morning - WHITEBAIT fritters. NZ Whitebait fritters. Oh the indulgence!
My Mum gave me some - Dad must be forgiven for throwing it in the green bin... fortunately we were wise to his tricks and found it there amongst the poppy trimmings and with a blowfly circling. Once that was all brushed off we were in business.

Take your 257 whitebait...
Add them to a bowl with eggs and a little flour - a very little please!
Mix.....
Fry in butter in groups.

The egg sets around the fishies.
And once it's brown, you EAT them.
Do NOT believe those West Coasters who say that they only work with mint sauce.

2 comments:

Bronwyn said...

Leave out the eggs for mine please! I like them patted dry, tossed in a little seasoned flour, and fried for maybe 30 seconds. Little crispy tails and succulent bodies. I like my whitebait to taste of whitebait, not egg. You need a lot of them though.

Christine Hobbs said...

funny isn't it - I am not a huge fan of the paua flavour either, so I do tend to like mixing it with stuff I do like - e.g. eggs! and salt...