04 May 2010

Yay for Winter food! New soup for me ...

I love soups! And I do tend to stick to my old favourites, like Pea and Ham, or Pumpkin.
Here's a new idea - really lovely combination of flavours, and ends up being thick and nourishing. Like all good soups should be!

Leek, Parsnip and Ginger Soup

3 tbsp oil
3 or 4 good sized parsnips, peeled and chopped
1 leek, cut in half, washed between the leaves and sliced
2 inch piece of root ginger peeled and finely sliced
4-5 cups vegetable stock
1 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 cups good white wine
Cream and/or milk ... about 2 cups in total


Heat the oil and fry the leeks, garlic and ginger over medium heat till soft. Add the parsnips and stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until the veges are cooked.
                                    
Puree all this together. I use my old mouli...
Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the cream and/or milk and wine to taste. Heat gently before serving with scrumptious ciabatta rolls and lashings of butter ...
(by the way, what is a lashing...?)

No comments: