06 May 2010

Smoked Fish Pie

is there anyone who doesn't have a favourite way to make this classic family dish? And if there is then I'll share mine with you right here, right now, for nothing!


Smoked Fish Pie
700 gm smoked fish or 1-2 cans smoked fiish fillets
1 large onion sliced
1 clove garlic crushed
25gm butter
1/2 cup plain flour
2 1/2 cups milk (I use a mix of milk, plain yoghurt, ricotta, cream - whatever is on hand)
Grated cheese - tasty if you can
700gm potatoes - about 3 large ones - boiled and mashed

Melt the butter and cook the onions and garlic over low heat until soft and transparent.
Add the flour, increase the heat slightly and cook for a minute or 2. Add the milk slowly, stirring well to make a smooth white sauce. Add the cheese and simmer slowly while you assemble the dish.

Take the fish off the skin and remove bones, or drain the water off the canned fillets (as Bronwyn knows, you use this liquid in the sauce). Place chunks in an oven-proof dish. At this stage add peas if you wish - frozen is fine. Must admit I've been known to adding halved boiled eggs at this stage too. Pour the cheese sauce over the whole lot, give it a gentle stir and then top with the mashed potatoes.
Heat the oven to 170 C.

I make a buttery crumb mix: 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 20gm butter melted, chopped herbs (sage, dill, parsley or similar) and crushed garlic plus salt. Mix all well and scatter over the potato.

Bake 20 minutes, serve with a green vegetable and plenty of buttery bread.

Left-overs are pefect on toast for breakfast.

2 comments:

Bronwyn said...

About the only difference between yours and mine is that I don't put peas in and I always use tinned smoked fish - so I can use the juice from the can as part of the liquid in the sauce.

Christine Hobbs said...

I agree - that juice is good! We have such excellent fish suppliers near me that I'm using the real thing more often. And I switch between peas, beans and celery. Dishes like this are the difference between liking winter and hating it!