07 March 2010

Euro experience

Stew took me out for dinner last night, a surprise to go to Euro - domain of the Gault-man.
I'm just an average everyday person but I'd like to share my opinion about Euro.
(I'm very aware that Karyn on Master Chef was slated for suggesting that Tony Astle's roulade recipe needed more sugar, and here I am about to do the same kind of thing....) Fools rush in.

Entrance: A bit confusing, I felt I was walking into the kitchen. I like the chefs being close and viewable, but I don't like to feel lost and on parade when I arrive.
Maitre' d': Officious Efficient but a little personality-free. Nice trousers though...
Decor: Warm, friendly, slightly conservative, relaxed, comfy chairs though heavy... Love the white linen, hate the cutlery. Love the red vases - I wanted to know who they're by... but I'd guess they're Peter Collis (wouldn't fit in my hand bag ... mental note: take bigger handbag) and well done on having them fairly dust-free. Lighting good but became darker quite quickly - and then darker again. I mean noticeably dimmed... please make it a more subtle transition? I always feel as if I'm meant to go to sleep when it's that dark that early
Waiter: friendly, interested and thorough though obviously confused when I tried to share a personal anecdote with him - but I get that a lot.
Menu: the physical format I hated sorry...plastic! Uh uh, needs to be more trad sorry Simon. Typography quite good, readability excellent. I identified about 12 words I didn't know (and I really like words so that was a surprise) and the contents were awesome... making it very hard to choose. But I do like to take time over the choosing. I asked for the dessert menu too, as I'm a dessert lover and want to know what I need to work myself up to.
Wine List: comprehensive, interesting selection with everything available by the glass or by the bottle. Prices pretty acceptable actually.
Food: The bread was good (more please!) and the Saporoso balsamic, olive oil and mushroom truffle dips were sensational. Stew ordered the scallops (he didn't know what 'diver' scallops were...) and loved them. Very stylish presentation. My main was Salmon with cauliflower and saffron puree - really delicious. Subtle, interesting, the flavours really well balanced against the richness of the fish. Loved it. Stew went for the tuna steak on buffalo mozarella and seemed to like it - though he wasn't raving. We added 2 sides of gournet potatoes and glazed carrots and needed them. Portion sizes are smallish, as you would expect.
Dessert - for me the main event - was a crepe with Grand Marnier flavours. It was enjoyable, but I'm sorry, for a dessert-ette like myself one measly crepe will NOT do it.... 

Anyway there we were having a wonderful night and I mustn't be too picky... all in all about a 7 out of 10 for me. Largely bumped down by the arrival of next-table neighbours who were quite loud and - I'm sorry - quite pretentious and we were rather glad to be finished. But nothing against the place! Would definitely go there again...

I like the 'local produce' position Euro takes (from the menu): "Head Chef....and Sous Chef... track down the best ingredients available. Our goal is to use 100% locally grown & organic produce. Simon G"

2 comments:

Kiwi Host said...

We too had a wonderful night and dining experience at Euro.
That was until the bill was presented with the gratuity area highlighted.
We had every intention of tipping because the service was excellent.
However we ended up not tipping and made our feelings known.
Shame that the owners don't let the patrons decide whether a gratuity to the wait staff is warranted in gratitude for enhancing the experience.
Colleen, Rotorua

Christine Hobbs said...

thanks for that colleen, nice to hear from my old stomping ground.
We saw the gratuities highlighted too, and I'm so averse to making NZ into an outpost of America or Europe that I always resist tipping on principle. Stew did however add a small amount to the bill.