16 January 2010

Just thinking...

Some people are overweight and some are underweight. I'm in the first group... but not by any medical scale (such as BMI): I judge this purely by what weight I feel comfortable being. And it's a very personal assessment that onlookers would probably not agree with.


I hate the "diet" word in the context of "weight loss" - I've tried all my life to avoid using it or giving credence to this meaning or to undertaking any dieting behaviour. I think that there's a lot of unhealthy attention being paid to this particular issue and we as sensible adults have to use our own intelligence rather than the media-driven cliches.

I'm sure we all know when we're uncomfortable with our weight, and I'm pretty sure most people, like me, would know the theories of losing weight - mainly to do with eating less and exercising more.

The difficulty is in having the fortitude and the knowledge to change the necessary behaviours to acheive weight loss. (I can't talk about weight gain here, because I have no knowledge of this issue).

At present I'm keen to reduce my weight by a few kilos, having lost some before Christmas with the incentive of wanting to row faster races. And then along comes Christmas.... but I've forgiven myself for that splurge and now's the time for a concerted effort again. 5 kg loss by end of February is my goal, to be acheived by reducing portion sizes, eating when hungry - not by the clock - and limiting the treats. Although I do love the treats... and for me they include cream, butter, icecream, chocolate, cheese. I'm not mentioning wine here... see, denial again!

Wish me luck. Actually, wish me focus. I know already that changing behaviour is a huge undertaking. But it's not to do with luck.

No comments: