12 August 2011

Karen’s Bday in South America -ole!
SISTER ANN’S REVIEW: I have lived in Rotorua for way too many years to remember and I have never dined at the Latin American Sabroso Licensed Restaurant, 1184 Haupapa St . It was full and we had been warned we may need to come back for our table. what? in Rotorua? what an eye-opener! I can see what people like about it. The ambience is that of a warm kitchen in your grandmother’s farm house. Eclectic furniture a la ‘Fat Dog Café’ and a warm glow about the place . The owners are the chef (out the back-never saw him) and a gorgeous Canadian woman not unlike Charlie Sheen’s housekeeper but pretty like an English one-all rosy and busy. well enough of the atmosphere. To the food…cannot for the life of me remember what I had but it was darned tasty. Latin American cowboy food I’d guess. Served on big pottery plates with a beautiful blue border. The colours were spectacular. I had the Argentinean Style Steak -  Grilled 250 gram rib eye, chimichurri sauce, green salad, seasoned roasted potatoes, sour cream I enjoyed it. I do not like to cook, I like to eat and anyone capable of fixing a very good steak has my vote of thanks. The spicy Latin American sauce made it!  The desserts were creamy and old fashioned. The Mexican Chocolate Cup- A rich and dense cold chocolate dessert spiced with cinnamon and cayenne chili, topped with whipped cream. Wow! I had the  Sabroso Sundae -   Delicious Vanilla bean ice cream topped with Latin caramel and whipped cream… and it was.
AMBIENCE  7/10                    SERVICE  8/10                       FOOD  7/10

No comments: