10 June 2010

Cultured friends

I culture my friends rather as I do my container garden... just enough love from me to elicit their response. With the plants, it's in the way of growth and, hopefully, produce. With friends, it's now you see me, sometimes you won't. In other words, I'm not to be relied upon to be thorough and slavish.
My policy with house plants always was, if they can survive without relying on me then they're welcome. At this time in my life I have no house plants. They all died. But this is not to say my friends are treated with similar disdain! After all, they at least can reach the fridge unaided.
But seriously, the best response I can get from a friend is the gift of their kitchen labour. Whether in the way of a  meal, or as above, their preserves. This one is a liqueur quince syrup to have on icecream. It's a vibrant jewel, and often I stand such treasures on the windowsill to remind me of the summer sun that's around the corner.

No comments: