25 May 2010

The French Cafe

I've been treated lately to some fabulous dinners: what a bonus! Other people have birthdays, and I get to eat with them at places like this.
It's my first visit there for at least 30 years, and I was very very pleased to be given the opportunity.
Deep fried quail's eggs on the side of the quail dish
What a gorgeous place! The staff are very attentive and lovely. We were quite early which was nice, we had the staff to ourselves for a while. But that soon changed - most impressive to see such a large and high end restaurant fill up to the level it did on a week night.

Lots of the group had the duck (above) but I was happy with my rabbit (below) with basil foam

 
Loved the presentation - a different plate or platter for each and every item. Seafood dishes such as Scallops (above) and tempura (below)  served on beautiful glass platters

The birthday girl had a call from her grand daughter in Australia.
For her last year's birthday we had given her The French Cafe cookbook which was also fantastic. (Still trying to steal it back for a read - mental note: borrow from the library!)

All in all, I think The French Cafe can rank as my new favourite restaurant in Auckland

No comments: